Friday 23 March 2012

Getting to know Sketch up

Our first independent study task was to develop one of our sketch sections in Sketch up, to allow us to bring a 2d concept and give life to it in 3D. This task allowed me to familarise myself with sektch up, but one of the problems i found was trying to convert my 2D sketch perfectly into 3D. There were many situations where I had to compromise some design elements as i was unable to convert the elements in sketch-up or where in some situations the geometry was extremely difficult to convert to 3D. 



The sketch 2D section I used (right), has a distinctive spiral like shape above the datum and a layered extruding shape below the datum. To make the spiral tower shape i had to you tube a video that showed how to create a solid spiral and the rest was just me playing around and getting comfortable with all the basic Sketch up tools.







Below are the images of my 3D sketch up model the first image highlights how the spiral shape and the unique rectangle glass box are combined togther. The second image focuses on the above view of the model highlighting the distinct spiral shapes. 






No comments:

Post a Comment